You CAN start cleaning up your home before FEMA arrives to do an inspection, however you MUST document EVERYTHING! The information is critical for estimating and verifying damage. Also, make sure you back your photos up somewhere such as a cloud drive or external hard drive. If the photos are lost or compromised, you may not receive FEMA assistance.
Helpful Tips on Documenting Damage
- Take photos before cleaning up
- Take pictures of the debris piles during and after cleanup
- Save a sample of wet carpet and pad underneath
- Leave up a sheet of drywall for reference
- Take a photo of the model numbers of all damaged appliances