Resources for specific durable medical equipment and assistive technology needs due to Harvey:
- Need a communication device (AAC/SGD)? Make a request though United States Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication (USSACC) https://harveyaac.recovers.org/ (log-in required)
- Need your power wheelchair fixed or replaced? Call the power chair hotline provided by Pride Mobility and Quantum Rehab at (800) 800-4258.
- Need medical supplies? If you are the parent or a family member of a child with complex medical needs, and you need specific medications or medical supplies, complete the form found here: http://www.protecttxfragilekids.org/impacted-by-harvey-.html.
- Need Autism-related equipment?If you are an individual with Autism or the family member of someone with Autism and have been impacted by Harvey, please complete the form found here:https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HarveyF2F.
Here are some of the many additional resources that can help replace or repair equipment that was lost or damaged during Hurricane Harvey
- Portlight Strategies has created the Harvey Disability Survivor Hotline (800) 626-4959.
- Texas Technology Access Program works to increase access for people with disabilities to Assistive Technology that provides them more control over their immediate environments and an enhanced ability to function independently. This organization operates many programs that can help people get connected to the tools they need to thrive. http://techaccess.edb.utexas.edu/
- STAR + PLUS Managed Care Organizations Many Houstonians with disabilities, including children and older adults, are insured through STAR+PLUS and STAR Kids managed care programs. These programs can help individuals get address healthcare-related needs in the wake of the storm. The contact numbers and Harvey focused websites for managed care organizations serving Texas Health and Human Services Commission are:
- Amerigroup: 24/7 Disaster Relief Nurse Help Line: (866) 417-7107; Member Services: (800) 600-4441 https://www.myamerigroup.com/tx/pages/tx-storm.aspx
- Molina: (866) 449-6849 http://www.molinahealthcare.com/members/common/en-US/Pages/texas-hurricane-harvey.aspx
- Superior: (866) 516-4501 https://www.superiorhealthplan.com/newsroom/IMPORTANT-Support-for-Hurricane-Victims.html
- United Health Care STAR+PLUS: (877) 352-7798 and STAR Kids (800) 349-0550 https://www.uhc.com/hurricaneharvey
If you do not know the name of a health plan, or do not have the health plan’s number available, contact the HHSC managed care helpline to get the survivor’s health plan information at (800) 566-8989.
Durable Medical Equipment Providers
Durable medical equipment providers can work with Harvey survivors to replace or repair lost or damaged equipment. Below is a list of some of the durable medical equipment providers in the Houston region and their local contact numbers.
- Great American Mobility: (832) 445-0956
- National Seating and Mobility: (713) 791-9080
- Nu Motion: (713) 791-1011
- Travis Medical Supply: (713) 468-0696
Guidance on Emergency Durable Medical Equipment Replacement
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has issued a blanket waiver to suppliers of Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies (DMEPOS) where DMEPOS is lost, destroyed, irreparably damaged, or otherwise rendered unusable. Under this waiver, the face-to-face requirement, a new physician’s order, and new medical necessity documentation are not required for replacement.
Suppliers must still include a narrative description on the claim explaining the reason why the equipment must be replaced and are reminded to maintain documentation indicating that the DMEPOS was lost, destroyed, irreparably damaged or otherwise rendered unusable because of the hurricane. For more information, visit:
Local Durable Medical Equipment Network
The Houston area is home to several non-profits who work to fill durable medical equipment needs, and who have worked together to support Houstonians during Harvey. These organizations are:
- Coalition for Barrier Free Living: (713) 974-4621 ; http://www.hcil.cc/
- Easter Seals of Greater Houston Bridging Apps: (713) 838-9050; http://bridgingapps.org/
- Living Hope Wheelchair Association: (281) 764-6251; http://lhwassociation.org/
- Project C.U.R.E.: (303) 792-0729; https://projectcure.org/
- Protect Texas Fragile Kids; http://www.protecttxfragilekids.org/
- RSVP: (855) 825-RSVP (7787); http://rsvptexas.org/about-us/
- United Spinal Association of Houston: (713) 364-4724 http://www.unitedspinalhouston.org/